Legaia Trademark Status

News related to the game Legaia (not this website!).
K73SK
Level 89

Legaia Trademark Status

Post by K73SK » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 am

I've posted this elsewhere before, but figured it would be of everyone's interest.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=s ... 5sfrkd.1.1 (After clicking this link, type in "Legaia" and push enter into the search bar)

This link provides the information regarding the trademark. Here's what it says if you don't feel like clicking the link:
Word Mark LEGEND OF LEGAIA
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: COMPUTER GAME SOFTWARE AND VIDEO GAME SOFTWARE. FIRST USE: 19990305. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19990305
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 75500757
Filing Date June 11, 1998
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition May 4, 1999
Registration Number 2346086
Registration Date April 25, 2000
Owner (REGISTRANT) Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 919 East Hillsdale Boulevard Foster City CALIFORNIA 94404
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date January 27, 2007
Basically, this is a confirmation from Sony saying they won't be making a 3rd game (unless they repurchase it, of course).

This is Good news and Bad news:

Bad news - This means, as stated above, the 3rd game isn't going to be created by Sony. They apparently didn't like the low profit they got from the game, even though it was indeed a great game. The second game was probably the reasoning for this.

Good news - This means that I do have the chance in owning this trademark myself and for anyone else who is willing to work with me to create Legaia 3. I already have a design layout for the 3rd game (in fact, a few different story ideas) and am well prepared in bringing it back. But I still want to get opinions from the community in general for Legaia. I want to hear what 99% of you liked and didn't like. This will improve the game...Hence the reason I'll be making polls on the front page every month; and once the community grows, every week.

Discuss! :D

edit: PLEASE NOTE, The opinions I asked for regarding this thread are not for me alone. If a company were to wonder their way onto this site and see your posts, it'd help them a lot more. I want everyone to know that there are TONS of things you have to go through to really get a game out there with a license and on the market. You can't just design it, draw things for it, and that's it. Programming is the biggest thing for making video games, as it is the fundamental reason games are even there. Not only that, but designing games is a lot more complicated than just saying, "Ok, let's do this! And this! Yeah and that!" There is a lot of thought required when making games.

The licenses needed to sell the game on consoles are extremely expensive, and getting the game to go through a publisher is also no easy process. We could have the game completely made, ready to go and get off the ground - yet have no publisher to accept it. Most companies get a publisher to agree with the idea of the game, provide funds for the game, and get the game started. After it's complete by the publishers deadline, the game is ready for release. This is why a game concept has to be clean and perfect, since publishers are crucial on short details for a game to be released on something.

So summary: All the ideas provided by users are just ideas and opinions. They'll be more useful to a real gaming company to make the game, although do not think they're going to waste. Although I am in no position at the moment to work on getting the game literally made, I will not toss all the ideas out the window. They'll still be of use for if it does come down to only myself and other "devs" to make the game. I hope everyone understands. :)
Donate to legendoflegaia.net if you are one who wants to keep it alive! http://www.legendoflegaia.net/donate.html

Traveler
Level 2

Re: Legaia Trademark Status

Post by Traveler » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I only played the first game so I'll tell what I liked/disliked about that

Liked:
-Battle System
-Music
-Enemy variety
-Bosses
-Graphics
-Story

Disliked:
-Lack of sidequests
-Lack of hidden enemies/bosses
-Not being able to fight Juggernaut!
Yeh thats all I can think of

Suggestions:
-More sidequests/secret bosses

I like the idea of making a new Legaia but I'm also open to remaking the first one into an even better game

I'll add more stuff as i think of them

Henri
Level 4

Post by Henri » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Liked:
Seru-system
Battles
Music (both games)
Voice acting (legaia 1)
Story (both games, but legaia 1 was better)
Enemy variety
Lots of Arts
Crafting, cooking

Disliked:
Clothing and armors should have changed in battles (legaia 2)
Lack of secrets (hidden bosses, items and places)
Lack of sidequests

Hiro
Level 12

Post by Hiro » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:13 pm

I'll list a few elments I like real quick. My days are so busy I dont get to post as much as would like to here. :(

I liked:
- The combat system
- The seru
- The story
- the fishing and colliseum minigames
- Graphics in both games were great at the time
- crafting
- cooking
- hunting

I didn't like:
- serus disappearing
- less magic in the second game
- the story was ok in the second game but didn't quite hit Legaia 1 status in my opinion

That's all thats coming to my mind right now, I'll put more later.

So, do you have any ideas on how big of a team you want to assemble and what areas you would need the most help with? I know this wouldn't be your first game so I want to pick your brain a little about the trade.

Alinor
Level 17

Post by Alinor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:42 am

I played both, but remember little of LoL2, so I'll make a list based off of LoL only...

-Armor/weapons visually changed
-SERU!
-Story
-Magic leveling
-Point card/Special card (the one that unlocked secret items in shops, cant remember the name)
-Small Party (both likes and disliked this)
-Seperate high/low def/atk ratings..

Dislikes:
-Cant max lvl. ra-seru without gameshark
-Small Party
-Lack of "unique" armor (I.e. Specialized for say atk over def, vice versa. That kinda stuff)

Im a little tired but not much comes to mind on the dislikes. If anything comes to me, ill edit/reply.
HOWEVER, the idea of a LoL remake hit me, too. I think it could be a great idea as long as it doesnt focus on only on the visual effects. Games nowadays are too wrapped up in being pretty and seemed to have lost the allure they had 10yrs ago when cutscenes were the "wow" moments.
Twitch
Youtube
Discord: Stubbs#4405 (Please, spam me there if I go MIA, again)

K73SK
Level 89

Post by K73SK » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be writing these down on the list and seeing what can be planned about them. I have yet to hear from someone who is going to school for game designing. He wanted to also recreate the game...I was hoping he'd help me out through the process but he seems to be offline most of the time, lol.
Donate to legendoflegaia.net if you are one who wants to keep it alive! http://www.legendoflegaia.net/donate.html

1991vall
Level 4

Post by 1991vall » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:49 pm

if you look at some sucessful rpgs like oblivion, dragon age, final fantasy.. i dont really know much else lol
but oblivion has a huge world, tons of side quests/armor and is a EPIC adventure
dragon age has a GREAT story line, armour/weapons, secret boses, side quests
I havent played alot of final fantasy but like dragon age you can form relationships with the opposite sex. In my younger years when I first beat Legend of Legaia I grew attached to Noa and was anxious for the 2nd Legaia to see what happens to her.. but as all of you know the 2nd game wasn't based on the first. If any of you have played dragon age and know about morrigan then you know wat I mean.

so all in all I hope you make the game based on the first one with improvements
-Side quests/hidden bosses
-Be able to form relationships with opposite sex, hopefully old characters from the first will be in the 3rd

What I liked about Legaia
-How long the game was, It was Epic, you keep journeying to new places that have diverse backrounds
-the bosses
-fighting system
-how when u buy new weapons they actually show up in the battle
-how you can capture monsters with ur ra-seru on your arm, I think that is win, its almost like pokemon if you think about it :lol:
-story, completely original, I think its great, but the fact that a tree kills and wards off monsters is a little cheesey but I still highly enjoyed the game.

the_third_curry
Level 6

Post by the_third_curry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm a bit late to the topic but...

Keep in mind that I've only played the first game
1. Battle system.
2. Each area having it's own story. Each time I went to a new continent I felt like I was starting a new game. Also, the cities were distinguishable.
3. Overall difficulty level. I like that the game was challenging without being discouraging.
4. Most antagonist having at least some back story.
5. The armor and weapons changing appearance in battle. Sure it's fairly pointless, but it looks cool.
6. Having some recurring characters that appear at different points in the game. For example, Cara, the Delilases, Songi, and Zeto. Obviously some characters have to be one-shots, but I like having some characters that you cross paths with on multiple occasions.
7. The Seru system.
8. Story. I especially how it mixes dark and light plot elements without either seeming too out of place.
9. The music is pretty solid.
10. The main cast of characters.

Dislikes
1. It's been mentioned a lot, but the lack of side-quests is a big one.
2. A few plot threads that don't really lead anywhere. Mei being Vahn's love interest and all the build up to the Juggernaut doesn’t amount to much as you never really fight him.

Neutral
1. Small party. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
2. Silent protagonist. Same as small party.

Improvements and Suggestions
1. More sidequests obviously.
2. Changing up the gameplay elements some. I mean things like the party being split up in the Nivore Ravine and the one-on-one battles. I think that gimmicky things like that can add variety and be interesting as long as they’re not overdone.
3. Giving antagonists back stories.
4. Maybe having characters help the party as guests rather than join. This way you could have the advantages of a large and small party.
5. Use recurring characters.

If someone were to remake the original I would like to see characters like Grantes, Juno, Val, Nene, Mei, and some of the villains do some more, either before or after the Mist.

Out of curiosity, how much money does it actually take to secure trademarks cost?

Redhollowlives999
Level Awesome.

Post by Redhollowlives999 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 pm

although having it for 5 years...i never really have the time to finish it...but heres the complicated stuff
disliked- (for legaia 1)
the really long time it takes to get exp. and gold.
the fact that the game moves along faster than you do;
the overhead map travel thing (takes too long to move)
no voice dialogue

its the same for legaia 2 pretty much
liked-(get ready for all of these)
battle system
magic system
music
weapon
enemies
point card(S)
the enemies that suck in life so bad that you cant lose even once 2 them
return of lippian in legaia 2
arts (need more of those)
ra-seru
mystic abilities
etc

---

another thing in my likes/hate
no sidequests....just make the game longer so it wont be missed, it would be better if u had secret locations w/ cool treasures and bosses to replace it
it really do be like that tho

Rammerrush
Level 100

Post by Rammerrush » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:17 pm

I love both games but there are a couple of thing that might be good to change

-The World Map could be changed to something more like Dragon Quest VIII. (sorry if nobody knows what that game is.)
-It would be cool if the out of battle sprites could change with what you equip just like when you're in battle.
-More Seru variation with the different leveled Seru. Like a level 2 Gimard could have a horn or a third blade instead of just a different color scheme.
-And I loved the system from Legaia 1 where most of the weapons were universal. Like everyone could equip the survival knife.
Red: I've seen a 10-way.
Ram: That's how I met your mother, Red.
~Status~
Destuin= Dead
Dolor= Dead
CYOA= Dead
Furanda= Dead?