Battle System Idea

Ideas, wishes, etc. of a Legaia 3 all goes here.
van
Level 27

Battle System Idea

Post by van » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 pm

Firstly, I'd like to see the character's moves to be based on actual martial arts style, but not exact clones.

Secondly, command characters separately as opposed to give all three commands at the same time. Either conditional turns (FFX) or active time (FFIX, many others around that era) are possibilities.

When the character's turn begin, they would have the options to use items, attack, spirit or flee.

Items would be straight forward: select item, select target, done.

Flee would attempt to flee the lone character.

Spirit would be the same.

Attacking will be fun. Select first option (Left, up, down, right) then select target. The player would have to then time the characters strike (like LoD), but they wouldn't be restricted to a particular Art selected before a battle begins. The timing for each successive strike would be different for which ever previous command was selected. Certain combinations would ended up being Arts for the character. The number of strikes or commands the character would be limited, but expanded by leveling or spiriting.

Another significant wrinkle implemented is the characters/enemies being able to counter or defend strikes, or even break counters. This would be done with timing similar to LoD or Super Mario RPG.

That would be the core structure for the combat/battle system.
Twitter | Seahawks | Mariners | Sonics | \\n/

Zup
Level 99

Re: Battle System Idea

Post by Zup » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Ehhhhhh I'm not too big on LoD. But it also kinda sounds a lil bit like Xenogears, which I did enjoy. A blend might work pretty good for making up combos on the fly and trying to avoid the AI's blocking or whatever.

I'm still not 100% on this (mostly because I could kinda picture it going a few different ways so I'm not sure what it should look like).

I do like the FFX-style of acting immediately. Always thought that'd be a great way to increase the speed of the system without doing too much.

Got anymore ideas?

IronJustice
Level Rusty

Post by IronJustice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm

I always thought a mesh of DDR and Legaia would be perfect. It would add a bigger skillcap to the game for sure, but also some more frustration.
Legend of Legaia, a pinnacle of human achievement, will always have a place in my heart

van
Level 27

Post by van » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 pm

I can see that there would be an increase in difficulty. Possibly add an "auto" battle?
Twitter | Seahawks | Mariners | Sonics | \\n/

IronJustice
Level Rusty

Post by IronJustice » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 pm

If we really want to improve on the original design, create options. Different 'styles' could behave differently. Some could use the DDR system and others could be more traditional.

We could have the DDR style where you have to time the hits to increase AP, the LoL1 style (where using the defensive ability (spirit) increases AP), LoL2 style (where low level arts increase AP), and perhaps another option where using offensive abilities/magic increases AP.
Legend of Legaia, a pinnacle of human achievement, will always have a place in my heart

LegaiaWiki
Level ∞

Post by LegaiaWiki » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:55 pm

For a possible sequel or reboot, I've always been torn between making the battle system similar to Devil May Cry or Dark Souls, or make an actual fighting game RPG where if you touch an enemy while running around it loads a battle screen and you fight in the same style as Tekken Tag Team or DBZ Budokai 3.

Lonewulf
Level 9001

Post by Lonewulf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Sise-Neg wrote:For a possible sequel or reboot, I've always been torn between making the battle system similar to Devil May Cry or Dark Souls, or make an actual fighting game RPG where if you touch an enemy while running around it loads a battle screen and you fight in the same style as Tekken Tag Team or DBZ Budokai 3.
This. The Budokai 3 part. That's what I want. Multiple enemies and 3 characters would be weird to pull off in a game like this but if done right would be amazing.

Im not a fan of LoD's timing system at all, i disliked it so much that i never finished the game despite the (seemingly) excellent story. I hope to finish it someday.

A DMC style could be neat as well but I would fear it would feel 'overdone' as tons of games already use similar systems. The main attraction to LoL, for me, was the unique fighting system...it didnt feel like anything id ever played before.
_______
Wulf Belmont, member of the Deuce Pine Moose gang.

Zup
Level 99

Post by Zup » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Last edited by Zup on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nitwit
Level 18

Post by Nitwit » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:44 pm

気息子! That's awesomeness! Why can't future RPG's be like your example?
Next time on Dragon Ball Z! Playing on the Switch will get me to kill some fools. Tune in to Dragon Ball Z to find out. 8-)