My Legaia 3 Ideas

Ideas, wishes, etc. of a Legaia 3 all goes here.
Zup
Level 99

My Legaia 3 Ideas

Post by Zup » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:05 am

Personally I'd prefer ta start with small projects (like recreatin' and improvin' the Baka Fighter thing, makin' some kinda Castlevania/Guardian Heroes-esque Gaza game, creatin' a card game, etc) in order ta build up the universe as a stronger IP, and then head inna Legaia-1-remake territory before even thinkin' about a third game, but I'm 'onna throw my ideas out there anyway. I finished replayin' the games a couple months back'n started thinkin'a stuff again.

This is almost entirely just gameplay stuff since I'm really inna that. I won't be creatin' much story or any characters or new Seru for the most part -- that's somethin' that'd prolly be better suited as a community thing anyway. While this is intended mostly as a sequel ta Legaia 1, if you change up the terminology'n 質 you could easily craft it as a Legaia 2 sequel or go the FF/Tales route'a makin' it take place in a completely different world that still feels familiar enough. Because'a this, I'll just be usin' Seru and Arts from Legaia 1 in order ta help y'all visualize things better.

==== STORY ====
I imagine it takin' place well after the events'a Legaia 1 -- at least a couple decades. I'd prefer ta distance it from the first game myself, but again I don't have any major vision for it. If the community at large wanted it ta feature Vahn, Noa'n Gala like twenty years in the future then whatever. It could also feature their kids or they could just be historic figures completely separate from the game's events for all I care.

The main purpose for makin' the game take place much later is for advancements in technology, as well as ta change up the world landscape by havin' new towns'n dungeons -- maybe even more islands'n continents've been discovered after the Mist was gone and the people were free ta travel the world.

With the Seru dead as 猿が大好きだよ, I'm in love with the idea that eventually, when the fear that revolved around 'em has been lost on the new generations, they'd start lookin' inna Cyber Seru. Basically, Legaians would start ta get really heavy inna bionics, which is basically engineering stuff based on phenomena found in nature -- I see new inventors in the Legaia world lookin' through history books'n gettin' inspiration from how the Seru worked. For example, maybe they look at Swordie's Sonicsizer'n start developing some kinda blade system that can spin'n vibrate at an intense frequency in order ta cut better, whether it be for combat or for metalworking.

Or maybe they look at Mushura's Crazy Driver and develop construction technology (like some kinda bulldozer) or MONSTER TRUCKS.

You could even give veteran players a bit of a nod by havin' future inventors misinterpret the Seru'n make something almost completely new because of it. Point is, I'd like ta see the game bring Seru "back" by this process, and through it you could make as many new ones as you wanted since they'd clearly develop more, whether it be through misconceptions or improvements or just new ideas ta meet new needs. Some'a y'all prolly wouldn't like not havin' the real legit thing come back but I don't personally know a good way ta do that and I have a bit of a robot fetish so I like this idea.

So Cyber Seru are a thing, maybe some breakout new science or one that's relatively new but has helped shape the landscape'a the world by the time the player starts the game. These things would be highly beneficial ta people, as they'd be completely under peoples' control, since they're basically just dumb robots. For the most part, everything's peachy.

However, the conflict with the Cyber Seru would come about when they tried ta make Cyber Ra-Seru. Based on the tales of how badass the Ra-Seru heroes were, these things would be the next step that the Legaians wouldn't quite have a grasp on. The idea would be ta make some kinda wearable (or not, even) Cyber Seru with some kinda AI in it ta give it a personality and mind, and they would have the ability ta absorb information and perhaps even "parts" from other Cyber Seru -- and maybe even living beings -- in order ta grow and develop. These things would be far more versatile than any given standard Cyber Seru, and by combining the different functions'a the different Cyber Seru they'd be able ta unlock new technologies to further advance things.

One'a the major themes that was discussed in this BTS'a the game (at the 3:21 mark) is that:
"The Seru represent science and technology. They are very advantageous things to humans, but we shouldn't rely too much on them and forget about basic human strength, or let trust in basic human relationships break down. Without being preachy, we wanted to show that the future is something that each person creates for themselves."
For me, the Cyber Seru tie inna this incredibly well. The "fantasy" crisis has already happened and the drawbacks'a the Seru were already explored. Now, decades later, when the people have advanced further and have started to make their own Cyber Seru/technology, they've learned ta control them and ta integrate them much more smoothly in their lives without becoming overly obsessed'n dependent on them. It's only when the Cyber Ra-Seru are brought in that they start takin' the technology too far, since they're basically tryna create new living things.

tl;dr
- Happens years after Legaia 1
- The word has changed and more of it has been discovered
- Legaians have developed Cyber Seru -- robots inspired by the powers of the now-dead Seru
- Development of Cyber Ra-Seru has begun, which might be crossing the line too early

==== CHARACTERS ====
I don't have anything specific, but I do have some thoughts on the process itself. First off, I think a total party'a nine playable characters is a good number ta shoot for. It's large enough ta allow for some diversity in personality and story role, as well as in gameplay style and party construction. The main reason though, is that I wanna utilize trios.

In Legaia 1, my favorite section'a the game is when the party hits Nivora Ravine and has ta split up. Relating ta this, I also like when you get ta Mt. Rikuroa and you switch control over ta Noa. I'm a huge sucker for when JRPGs split up the party for whatever reason, and I'd like ta include that here.

In my vision, there's no one central main protagonist in the game -- instead, there are three, and each one begins in a completely different part'a the world. These three protagonists would all gather their own individual parties'a three characters, and soon they'll all start ta meet up'n converge. I prefer my parties ta have four characters, but with Legaia 1'n 2, three might as well be a staple so whatevs.

While this isn't mandatory, I think it'd be neat ta have the three protagonists represent the series. One'a the protagonists would represent Legaia 1, fighting barehanded but with the option'a havin' a weapon as well. Another would represent Legaia 2, and come equipped with a specific weapon and weapon type. The third would represent this game, and would maybe be the one that starts with a Cyber Seru and maybe even a Cyber Ra-Seru. Players could maybe pick which one they wanna start as at the beginning'a the game. Again, nothin' specific but this could be neat.

The way the story presents these different protagonists and trios depends entirely on what the actual story is, but as far as gameplay goes, you could play around with it in numerous ways, For example, lets say all nine characters are together before the halfway point (so that you don't spend most'a the game jumpin' between characters when you've already decided which ones you like the most and wanna play as). Perhaps every time you hit a serious story dungeon (like maybe you infiltrate some kinda castle), the party splits up inna three trios that you as a player can decide on. You would then jump between these three different trios as they navigated through the castle'n 質. Very much like the Nivora Ravine system, but with a full part'a 3 rather'n just a solo character.

's far as the characters go, diversity is key. The easy and obvious thing ta do is ta give every character a specific element, and that seems ta be a trend already set up by 1'n 2. Personally I find that kinda auto-filly, but it can be done well.

tl;dr
- 3 "main" protagonists
- Each protagonist gathers their own individual party'a 3 characters, creating 3 separate trios
- These 3 trios join up together ta give the player a full party'a 9 characters
- The player can divide these parties up inna smaller groups ta navigate dungeons from multiple sides

==== WORLD ====
One thing I'd like ta keep is the slight horror'n suspense elements found in Legaia 1. I liked that the game could be unsettling whether in imagery or tension. The game doesn't (and honestly shouldn't) be overly graphic or grotesque, but having that undertone of horror and more mature imagery would help separate it from other generic JRPGs.

Due ta the time skip and the Cyber Seru, the world would be more technologically advanced, but not so far so as ta hit sci-fi territory since that might be a little too jarring. I don't have any specific demands for how advanced they are; that can be another community or committee decision.

What I do wanna lobby for is an improvement of the world geography itself. I'd like more detailed and varied terrain -- little hills you can climb ta see further in the distance, rock walls you can climb up ta reach new areas, a lake you can swim across'n dive into, ice formations you can melt or crack down in order to advance or keep enemies from following you, etc. Legaia already laid some decent foundations for this, but ramping it up'll make the world come ta life a lot better. It doesn't needa be some vast open world, but just enough so that moving from place ta place isn't just draggin' こし through a flat plain.

More control should be given ta players as well. Instead'a these things bein' rare contextual events, give players the option ta jump and use their weapon or Seru or whatever in the field whenever they want. The player takes control'a whatever party member they have up front, and the two other active fighters'll follow right behind 'em sorta like Kingdom Hearts.

tl;dr
- Keep the spooksies
- World is more technologically advanced; ta what degree can be decided by others
- Make the environments more varied; give them some verticality, secret paths, and add more water you can swim in
- Give the player more free control while roaming around -- let them manually jump or hit stuff out in the field

==== ENCOUNTERS ====
Random battles're 猿が大好きだよ' dumb so throw those out. Instead, enemies will now have an avatar out in the field, roamin' around. Making contact with those enemies will trigger a battle, and if you run up from behind you'll get the drop on 'em, whereas if they get you from behind, they'll ambush you.

Instead'a the old screen-block-breakdown transition from Legaia 1, encounters will spark like Chrono Trigger, taking place right then and there, bringing up the battle menu and commencing the turn-based fighting that'll be explained later. After you win, the battle menu goes away and you can resume running through the area like you were beforehand.

'm also proposing this:

While out in the field, the player can press a button that causes their characters ta ready themselves for battle. The party will draw their weapons and maybe a little battle HUD'll pop up. What this does is trigger real-time combat. Now, instead'a makin' contact with enemies and transitioning inna turn-based, enemies will attack you on sight, and your job is ta take them out without bothering with pickin' your actions from menus. You'd get a fairly simplistic but very flashy real-time fighting system that lets you run around, jump, block, dodge, roll, punch, kick, slash, and summon in real-time. This'll be expanded upon later.

What this method is for is beating enemies up fast'n fluidly. While the game would already streamline encounters by cuttin' out random battles'n removing a battle screen transition, it can be further streamlined by givin' players a real-time battle option as well. Quite a few peeps here're in favor'a makin' the game action-based rather'n turn-based, but others prefer the turn-based and don't wnat it ta be a huge departure. This system allows for both, and while that's pretty ambitious, the way I picture it keeps it relatively simple, as you'd be utilizin' the same models'n animations, you'd just cut out the takin' turns part.

tl;dr
- No random battles; enemies are found on the field
- Players have a "stance" button that switches between turn-based and real-time combat
- No battle transition for turn-based; takes place right on the field
- Real-time combat allows for zero transition -- you see an enemy, you fight 'em right away and keep moving when they're done

==== BATTLE SYSTEM -- TURN-BASED ====
Criticisms
My favorite aspect'a the series is the Tactical Arts system, so I don't wanna get rid of it. However, it does need some improvements. As you progress through the game, battles start ta drag out as your characters all have ta perform long strings of attacks (and usually you have the same combo set up because it's the one that deals the most damage) that might not even kill the enemy in the first try.

Another problem is actually learning the moves themselves -- has anyone ever brute forced their way ta learning all of the Arts without lookin' 'em up? It's possible 'm sure, but more a pain in the こし than anything, although it does have a very powerful strength -- if you have ta learn Arts more or less on your own, you can theoretically stretch out how often the player obtains new Arts for as long as it takes them ta learn 'em, meaning you can always give them a new move. Course, this is pretty much exclusively for the first playthrough -- I know a lotta peeps here either memorize alla the Arts or just look 'em up ASAP so they can have 'em in the Arts list. This is a clunky system that can be cleaned up.

The Seru summons themselves also get a bad rep for not only givin' you a long-こし animation that you can't skip, and the Seru themselves're rarely worth it -- raw melee combos easily outdamage most of 'em in half the time, and they look cooler since you can mix 'em up whereas the Seru summon is the same thing over'n over again.

Here's how I'd change the system:

Okay, so picture Vahn, Noa, and....fuggit, Maya is your current party. You're runnin' around as Vahn in some forest. You reach a clearing, and there're three Gobu-Gobus yukkin' it up. You manage ta run up behind one, giving you a preemptive strike.

Cross Command
As soon as the HUD comes up and everyone gets in position, you get the option ta Fight or Flee, but because we're not sissies we're gonna Fight. You hit that, then you immediately get control'a Noa since she's the fastest character. Like usual, you get your four options -- Attack, Item, Magic, and Spirit in that cross shape since I think it's a good design. What I do wanna do is make it a button thing: ta select these options, you would use one'a the buttons on the controller. [ ] would be Attack, /_\ would be Item, O would be Magic, and X would be Spirit.

The reason for this is that I wanna condition the players ta use these buttons in that cross shape. The cross shape of battle commands is gonna be found in numerous other spots, and teaching the player ta intrinsically associate menu commands with the face buttons' pattern is integral ta makin' the whole thing smoother. As they progress through the game, they'll automatically press [ ] when they're ready to attack, or hit O at the start if they wanna summon their Seru. That kinda thing.

For now, let's start with Items. For me personally, I've always found the menu kinda poorly organized, so let's cut it down with the cross system. After hittin' /_\ at the beginning'a Noa's turn, your cross commands will now be replaced with a new cross -- Healing Items, Boost Items, Attack Items, and some other fourth category that depends on what the game allows you ta do, like maybe the Flutes for summoning or whatever.

Let's say your first move is ta hit the enemy with the Point Card because you're a real man that doesn't throw that 質 at bosses like a pansy. After hittin' /_\ ta have Noa open the Items menu, you would then hit O ta select Attack Items. From there you get a little standard menu where you can move up'n down the list ta pick your item'a choice, complete with a description'a what it does. After selecting it, Noa immediately uses the Point Card, and kills the first Gobu Gobu target.

Turns
For the purposes'a this, let's say the Gobu Gobu're the next fastest. Once the first Gobu's dead from the Point Card, the second one runs up ta Maya and cups her butt, stealin' one'a your Healing Leaves. Once he's done the second runs up ta Vahn and kicks his nuts.

Vahn's the next fastest, so it's his turn next. Characters now act immediately after selecting their actions, and enemies will act in between according ta their speed stat. This keeps things active rather than havin' the player select everyone's moves then sittin' back'n watching 質.

An FFX turn-order sub-menu would be a really good idea ta rip off for this, and add an extra layer'a strategy with affecting turn order. In this case, though, I would suggest that more actions have an affect on turn order then FFX utilized. Another feature I'd steal from FFX is the ability ta swap out party members on the fly during combat with a simple button press'n menu selection. One'a the shoulder buttons'd be fine.

Seru
Let's have Vahn use a Seru. Once it's his turn, the Attack, Item, Magic, and Spirit cross comes back up just like it did for Noa. We hit O, opening up the Magic submenu. Now, the layout here can change depending on where the story goes (like if characters're limited ta one or two elements or Cyber Seru are divided by a specific category, etc). Whatever the case, let's skip ahead and have 'im select Gimard.

Once you've selected Gimard, you once again get the cross command, this time with Gimard's four different possible abilities -- Tail Fire, Burning Attack, Summon, and Gimard Sword.

Pressing [ ] will activate Tail Fire, which is the babby ability they use as enemies where they flick their tail and they shoot a fire ball. When you first capture a Gimard, this is the only ability you have access to. As such, it's the weakest, but it costs very little. It's a Fire element move, so using it against enemies weak ta Fire's another usage for it.

When you select the Tail Fire, instead'a havin' ta sit there and watch Gimard come in like a slow こし, you instead spark somethin' like the Persona animations wherein Vahn very quickly does his little Meta fist pump. Gimard will appear right in front of him super quickly, flick his tail, shoot the fireball at the Gobu Gobu, then vanish, all within the span'a like five seconds tops. These can be a little shorter or longer depending, but the idea should be clear.

As you level up your Gimard (and Meta), you'll unlock Burning Attack, which is the move Gimard uses in Legaia 1 when you actually select him. Once again, rather than sittin' on your butt watchin' him take his sweet time, Vahn will due his cute widdle fist pump, Gimard will appear, quickly set himself on fire, then kamikaze tackle the Gobu Gobu, causing an explosion on impact. This move might take like seven seconds, if even. What this move does is cause an explosion, hitting any enemies that're close to the Gobu Gobu, making character and enemy placement integral ta gameplay.

Ta keep things balanced, the move wouldn't do much more damage than the Tail Fire, but it would definitely cost more. The more you use any given Seru command, the stronger it gets, so when you first unlock Burning Attack, your Tail Fire could be like Level 5, allowing it ta deal perhaps almost twice as much damage as Burning Attack at a smaller cost. Leveling up the Burning Attack move would help reduce the damage disparity, but the cost wouldn't go down. That bein' said, the move has the added utility'a bein' an AoE attack, so it could hit more than just one target, unlike the Tail Fire move. This balancing is necessary in order ta keep any given move from becoming obsolete, and it should be applied ta all Seru summons.

Later in the game, when Meta hits a certain level threshold and so does your Gimard, you'll unlock the Summon command, which basically summons a little Gimard pal ta fight alongside you as a temporary party member. Gimards're pretty 質 so he's not gonna be able ta replace any'a your party members, but what you do get is this:

For one thing, you wouldn't have ta waste one'a Vahn's turns activating a Burning Attack when you need it -- Vahn can go off and do his own thing while the Gimard can use the Burning Attack on his own turn. This also keeps you from having ta drain Vahn's MP -- the Gimard'll get his own pool ta use. The Gimard also becomes another target that can take the heat offa enemy attacks. The major drawback would be that if the Seru's killed in battle, you won't be able ta use his moves through Vahn for the duration'a the fight, although you can prevent this by dismissing him before he's killed.

The final move you can unlock with your Gimard is the Gimard Sword (or whatever I don't have a legit name or anything). This final command would only be unlocked upon maximizing Meta and the Gimard. What this move does is temporarily transform the Gimard into a sword (or an attachment for a sword) that Meta (the summoned giant floating samurai armor form) will wield. The weapon created depends on the Seru, as do its effects. Perhaps the Gimard, bein' the first Seru absorbed, gives Meta something rather simple like higher damage when he's attacking, whereas other Seru would give more unique effects like recovering health every turn or perhaps allowing his slashes ta inflict Poison or wtfever.

Spirit
Let's just have Vahn use Tail Fire. Gimard pops up and shoots a Gobu in the face, although it doesn't kill it. Next up is Maya who decides ta use Spirit.

One'a the things I really dug about Legaia 2 was how they utilized the guard option. You'd get different skills throughout the game that would activate when you chose the guard option, like buffing your next attack or something. In Legaia 1, Spirit is basically your Guard command since you don't attack the enemy and instead prep yourself, although it's a lot cooler since you also get an extended Arts bar.

This feature'a makin' the classic "Guard" command have multiple beneficial effects is great because it makes it far more likely ta be used by the player -- in a lotta JRPGs, most peeps don't even touch the Guard or Defend command 'cause why the 猿が大好きだよ would you. In Legaia, however, there's always a good reason, and with Legaia 2 you could even customize that reason. I wanna bring that back.

In the menu, you can customize the Skills that activate when using the Spirit function. Since Maya uses magic even in her Attack command, let's say that the player has already customized it so that, upon using Spirit, Maya not only gets a larger Arts bar, she also gets higher defense as well as x1.5 Wind damage. While she doesn't act at this time, she preps herself for her next turn.

Attacking
Okay, back ta Noa who's ready ta whoop some こし. When it's her turn, you hit [ ] and then select your enemy. While you're selecting your enemy, Noa's Arts bar will pop up at the bottom'a the screen. At this point in time, let's say her bar can support a little bit past four blocks. You know how in Legaia there would be times when your bar would be longer but not long enough ta support another command block? Here's a good way ta utilize this.

After selecting the first Gobu, Noa immediately starts sprinting towards him, and her Arts bar starts to drain down. Since she's fast and the Gobu's not too far from her, the bar doesn't drain too much, still giving you time ta throw in four commands. However, if this was at the very beginning'a the game, depending on how far away the Gobu was, you would potentially run out of Arts bar before you got up close enough, so you'd only have enough bar for three blocks rather than four. There would be some kinda visual prompt when selecting your enemy that would tell you how much bar you would have left by the time you actually got close enough to attack, of course. This would allow even the tiniest bit of Arts bar lengthening to have an actual impact on the battle, and it also once again introduces that strategic layer of placement on the field.

Speaking of location on the battlefield, I'm also gonna suggest adding in the ability to manually move characters without attacking. After selecting Attack, the player can forfeit their ability ta actually hit the enemy that turn, and instead use, like, the Right Analog Stick in order ta select a specific spot on the field. The character will move over there and then end their turn.

Just as Noa gets within range, the cross command bar comes up, this time in the way everyone's familiar with it -- RaSeru, High, Arms, and Low. These buttons would be mapped ta the [ ] and X and yadda yadda like all the other cross commands. That means that when you approach the Gobu Gobu, you can now start throwing out your combos, although you'll be selecting them with the face buttons and doin' 'em on the fly.

The size'a the individual command bars will vary based on the character and what they've got equipped. For example, since Vahn's a scrawny boy he can't wield the Astral sword well enough ta keep it at a standard bar size, so that thing would take up like maybe one-and-a-half bars, whereas a simple left jab would just take one.

For Noa, let's just throw out Bird Step. Ta activate this move, you gotta input Low, Low, Low, and then High, and the move will activate in place of the High command. When activated, she'll do a backflip then kick down at the enemy twice. This would cost AP, although it does more damage than a regular attack, and it hits twice rather than just once.

So, when you run up to the Gobu, you would immediately tap out three Xs, and then a /_\. Noa would kick at the guy's shins three times, then perform the Bird Step.

Memorizing the commands for the different moves would allow this ta be the smoothest sequence it could be, so that each turn you know exactly what combos you wanna throw out. However, forcing the player ta memorize combos in a turn-based game like this can be kinda Robert, so the player would get a toggle that would turn on their character's Arts list before attacking so that they can input the right commands without gettin' frustrated at forgettin' 'em or doin' 'em wrong. There could even be a little thingie on the bottom'a the screen that sorta "guides" the player -- let's say you hit /_\ and then X (High and then Low). From here, the game would recognize that you could activate either Lizard Tail or Acrobatic Blitz. It would give you a little prompt that tells you that pressing X a second time will give you Acrobatic Blitz, while pressing /_\ will give you Lizard Tail.

The second Gobu's dead, leavin' us with one more. He charges at Noa.

Defending
In order ta keep players from sittin' idly by as the enemy wails on 'em, they can actively defend themselves as well. Each character will have up ta four different defensive maneuvers attached to the cross command system, and they can set these in the menu. Let's give Noa a very simple set of -- Block High, Jump, Block Low, and Duck. Once again, these would be [ ], /_\, O, and X.

The Gobu charges at Noa and immediately throws out a kick at her ankles. During this, the player has a split second ta activate one of their defensive moves. Block Low and Jump are both viable commands. If you choose to Block Low, Noa will crouch down and throw up her arms in defense, blocking the attack. If you choose to Jump, Noa will hop up, avoiding the attack completely. If the Gobu slashes for her face, a Block High and a Duck would be viable. Other moves would be available as characters level up.

However, differences between characters needs ta be highlighted. Noa's a frail, skinny little girl, so while she can block, she's gonna be really shitty at it. Strong enemies will break her guard completely, canceling out the player's ability ta enter defensive commands at all, and even if she blocks the Gobu's attack, she'll still take some slight chip damage.

But Noa's fast and rather small, so dodging is where she'll shine. Her Jumps and Ducks will come out faster than 野菜 near any attack any given enemy can throw at her, so as long as you guess the height correctly, you'll avoid damage entirely. Of course, if you 猿が大好きだよ up, you'll take full damage. It's a gamble, but the payoff is nice, as you can avoid damage entirely.

On the other hand, let's say you have Ayne in the party. He's a huge, slow-こし dude; he can't dodge for 質. If the Gobu goes for an ankle kick and you hit Jump, regardless'a the fact that you guessed the right height, Ayne's too slow ta Jump in time against a Gobu, so he'll take the damage anywhere. Of course, he won't be stunned by the move entirely, so you'll get a second chance at defending against the Gobu's second attack. If Noa 猿が大好きだよ up and got hit by the Gobu's ankle attack, she'd be completely vulnerable ta the Gobu's following attack, and the player won't get ta choose any defensive move.

Ayne's a big buff guy, so he can take numerous hits, and if he throws out a successful Block, he'll negate the damage entirely, whereas Noa will still take some (albeit reduced) damage, and it'll be 野菜 near impossible ta break his guard.

More advanced techniques like Parries would be available as the player progresses.
tl;dr
- 猿が大好きだよ you read it
Real-time system comin' up
Last edited by Zup on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IronJustice
Level Rusty

Re: My Legaia 3 Ideas

Post by IronJustice » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Wow Zuppy, quite thorough. Thanks for sharing. I haven't read it all yet, and I will give you my real feedback when I do.

I just wanted to say that we have had the Legaia 3 forum going for like 5 years and I'm surprised that we are just now hearing your ideas.
Legend of Legaia, a pinnacle of human achievement, will always have a place in my heart

Zup
Level 99

Post by Zup » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:57 am

They put a muzzle on the zuppy puppy

Zup
Level 99

Post by Zup » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:08 pm

==== BATTLE SYSTEM -- REAL-TIME ====

Focus
The main issues with implementing a real-time system in this is the risk'a alienating fans'a the series, and that's why I suggested giving players the choice of either, although I'm well aware how crazy that would be. Still, I think it's the best method. I myself am a huge fan'a lettin' players play the game how they want to.

The idea of a real-time system's been mentioned before, usually in the vein'a makin' it like a Tekken or DBZ game ta keep to the series' fighting game inspiration, or ta go balls-out with a Devil May Cry-like system because DMC has like the second-greatest combat in gaming so why wouldn't you wanna emulate it. I don't think either option is ideal for a mothership title, though. A fighting game spin-off or a spin-off where you play as the Delilases cuttin' through enemies doin' sick-こし ninja moves? 猿が大好きだよ yeah. But for a sequel to a fairly traditional turn-based JRPG series I think that's too drastic a change.

However, I'm still on board with a real-time system, and I think I got a good way ta make it work.

The key is ta keep it flashy, exciting ta watch, and familiar ta those who know the series -- the Arts should be the same, the enemies and characters should move and animate the same, etc -- except that instead'a takin' turns it all happens in real time. The system can't stray too far from the turn-based one, and there should be a reason ta use it and a reason ta not have ta use it.

Initiating Combat
During regular play, the player will move around the field as their lead character. Let's just keep it as Vahn for simplicity. However, the other two characters will also follow right behind a la Kingdom Hearts. Let's swap out Noa'n Maya for Gala'n Kazan ta shake things up.

Let's go back ta the unnamed generic forest I used in the turn-based example. We head to a clearing, and the player can see a trio'a Gobu Gobus yukkin' it up bein' stupid. Before approaching, the player decides ta hit R3 or whatever. This prompts the three party members ta do cool guy poses where they throw their arms out or cross 'em or roll their necks'n arms or smash their fists together or slap their こし cheeks. Whatever it is, it's a very clear visual and audio cue that they're ready ta go.

Upon hittin' this button, players should notice that Meta's glowing or something, and the UI should change a bit, showing little battle stats for Vahn, Gala, and Kazan. It also shows a little cross command gauge in the corner'a the screen corresponding ta Vahn's Arms, High, RaSeru, and Low. The player approaches the clearing where the Gobu Gobu are, and have not been noticed.

The player approaches the first Gobu, and a little lock-on thing targets him. The player can change this with iunno R1 or somethin'. The camera centers on this Gobu, and Vahn naturally moves towards him. They decide ta hit /_\, which prompts Vahn ta kick up at the back'a the Gobu's head.

The player has landed a preemptive attack, dealin' damage ta the Gobu without bein' detected. The immediate area will be fenced off with the mist circle found in regular battles, and the battle begins.

Controls
Even though this battle system takes place in real-time, it mimics the turn-based system as best it can while also blending in naturally with the way the game controls in the overworld. Like the overworld, the player can move Vahn with the Left Analog Stick in any direction they want. They can also press L3 ta jump. The Right Analog Stick controls the camera as usual.

The cross command bar appears on the screen (albeit in a smaller form so as not ta get in the way), corresponding ta the face buttons as if the player had selected the Attack command in the turn-based system. Pressin' [ ] at any time will have Vahn punch with his left hand, pressin' /_\ like he did at the start will have him do a face-height kick, pressin' O causes him ta swipe with Meta, and pressin' X has him do a little ankle kick.

The D-Pad will be used for any alternative commands, and it'll be shaped in another cross command shape that's somewhat similar ta the initial Attack, Items, Magic, Spirit system, although the Attack command will be swapped ta Party instead. So if you hit the Up button on the D-Pad you'll open the Item menu. I'll elaborate on this later.

In the lower left hand corner, below this cross command menu is the Arts bar.

Hitting R3 in the overworld changes you ta battle stance, but hittin' it while you're already in battle stance'll 'cause your characters ta drop their stances, and you can then sprint ta the edge'a the battlefield in order ta flee.

The L1 button controls your lock-on. You can press it ta target the nearest enemy and hold it ta remove the lock-on entirely. R1 changes your target.

The L2 button will be your Defensive button. Holding it will change your face buttons (and your main cross command menu) to your character's Defensive commands -- Arms/High/RaSeru/Low becomes High Block/Jump/Low Block/Duck. The R2 button will bring up a little Arts list display for you.

The Start or Options button, the Select button, and the Touch Pad kinda depend on the control scheme for the game, but one of 'em (likely the Start/Options button) will pause the game and bring up the main menu, just like in the overworld.

One'a these buttons could also be utilized ta switch control between the different party members.

Items
The Item system I have in mind is a blend between the Souls games and KH. In the lower left hand corner'a the screen is a cross command menu that corresponds ta your D-Pad rather than your face buttons. It's patterned much like the one you initially get when you start your turn (Attack/Items/Magic/Spirit), although the Attack command is switched for the Party command since you can attack whenever you want, and the attack cross command menu is already seen in the lower right hand corner'a the screen.

If you press Up on the D-Pad, you'll open the Items menu. Just like what happens in turn-based combat, your cross command menu stays, but the options switch ta somethin' like Healing Items/Attack Items/Boost Items/Flutes or whatever the set-up is. However, your Attack cross command menu will also change functions since you're in a menu and not attacking. The game basically follows the logic that you chose Items instead of Attack, so there's no need for your cross command menu ta give you attack options. Instead, the X button will change ta Confirm, and the O button will change ta Cancel.

In the Healing Items/Attack Items/Boost Items/Flutes cross command menu, let's say you press Left ta get your Healing Items. Just like in the turn-based system, your left-side cross command menu will switch over ta the standard blue rectangle menu wherein you select your chosen item from a vertical list. This is why the cross command menu on the right hand side switches over ta Confirm and Cancel, so that you can pick your item and your target or you can back out.

Seru
This system works much in the same way. If you press Right on the D-Pad, you'll open up the little vertical menu, and your Attack cross command menu will switch ta Confirm and Cancel. After selecting your Seru of choice (let's just use Gimard again), the left-side vertical menu will then switch over to the secondary cross command menu that lets you choose Tail Fire/Burning Attack/Summon/Gimard Sword. Pressing any'a the directions on the D-Pad will have Vahn summon Gimard for that purpose, although you can back out with O in case you change your mind.

If you select Tail Fire, Burning Attack, or Gimard Sword, the Gimard (or Meta) will attack whatever enemy you're currently targeting. If you're not targeting anything, he'll go for the closest enemy.

If you select the Summon option, Gimard will appear and temporarily join the party, running around like an idiot pecking at the enemy Gobus alongside you. Like the other party members, the Gimard would be AI controlled, although you could give him more specific commands in the Party menu.

Spirit
In the lower left hand corner, underneath the left-side cross command menu, is Vahn's Arts bar, stretching across the bottom'a the screen. It's the exact same size as it is in the turn-based system, so you don't have to adjust to two different ones.

Just like in the turn-based system, Spirit is used in the real-time system ta extend your Arts bar as well as ta power yourself up and trigger whatever Skills you have set up. However, instead'a just selecting the Spirit option and watching Vahn charge up, you can hold the button yourself for however long you want. You can't go past what the turn-based system's Spirit gauge would go to, but what you can do is repeatedly activate it ta keep your Arts bar at maximum as often as possible instead'a havin' ta take up a turn doin' it.

While activating Spirit, you're vulnerable to enemy attacks. Your Attack cross command menu doesn't change function, though, so if you see an an enemy approaching, you can stop your Spirit charge and attack or defend yourself.

Party
This is your way ta control your other characters remotely. The turn-based system is a much cleaner way ta strategize and direct your party's actions, but the real-time system shouldn't be devoid of it. I mentioned earlier that one'a the leftover buttons could be used ta switch control ta other party members, so there's always that, but you should be able ta seamlessly give orders as well.

If you hit Left on the D-Pad, your left-side cross command menu will change from Party/Items/Magic/Seru to (in this example party) Gala/Kazan/Gimard/All. Obviously if you don't have any Seru summoned, the Right button won't do anything.

This brings up what happens if you try ta summon more than one Seru at a time. I don't have a preference, really. If you can summon more than one (like if Vahn summons Gimard and Gala calls in Viguro), then you could:

- Swap out the "Gimard" option for a "Seru" or "Summon" option. Pressing this button would open up another cross command menu with directions for each individual Seru.

- Have it so Gala's Viguro causes Vahn's Gimard ta go away

- Have it so Gala can't summon any other Seru at all until Vahn's Gimard goes away

Let's start with the Gala option since he's first up. Hitting Left on this cross command menu will basically tell the game that you wanna give some specific order ta Gala. Once this happens, your own cross command menu switches ta Confirm and Cancel again, since what you're basically telling the game is that it's Gala's turn, not Vahn's. Of course, you can still move around and stuff. The left-side cross command menu then switches from Gala/Kazan/Gimard/All ta Command/(Blank)/Tactics/(Blank).

In the main menu'a the game, you can set each character's AI tactics, telling Ayne ta hit stuff super hard and tank hits while tellin' Maya ta avoid trouble and heal. Stuff like that. There'd be multiple preset (and customizable) tactics like these so that, in the event that you ever needa change one character's approach ta the fight, you can do so on the fly. If you're familiar with the Tales series, this mostly stems from there.

If you hit the Right button ta choose the Tactics option, the left-side cross command menu'll change to a vertical rectangle menu that lists out alla the preset AI options that're available. There'd be more than four, so the need for a bigger menu's necessary. What these individual tactics do depends on what the player has set for that character. Choosing one will cause Gala ta switch his strategy ta fit whatever option you told him to.

If you hit the Left button ta choose the Command option, the left-side cross command menu will swap over from Command/(Blank)/Tactics/(Blank) ta Attack/Items/Magic/Spirit. Basically, you now have control over Gala's own cross command menu, although he'll still be acting on his own until you tell him what ta do. In order to better differentiate this, each cross command bar could have little visual specializations ta make it clear who's cross command menu you're dealing with, like a blue lightning around it or even just a little picture'a his face and/or his name.

If you hit the Attack button, you can choose a specific Art from his own list (via a vertical rectangle menu) and designate a target for him. This is useful for when you need him ta strike an enemy with a Thunder move ta open them up ta your own attacks.

In Legaia 2 they introduced Variable Arts which are awesome and a feature I wanna include. They work the same way in the turn-based system, but in this real-time system, they'll simply appear as a selectable Art in each character's Arts list when you tell them to Attack. Let's say Gala has a Variable Art called Booty Twerk, and it's a secondary Variable Art (meaning it's the second one used in the attack). Upon selecting this Art, you'll get a new Arts list that shows off Vahn and Kazan's primary Variable Arts, and you get ta select which one ta use, allowing you ta order two characters ta perform a specific Variable Art attack together.

Likewise, if you hit the Items, Magic, or Spirit commands, you'll access those submenus for him, and you'll be able ta tell him what item ta use and on whom, or what Seru ta summon and what ability ta utilize. This same thing applies ta Kazan as well. The Gimard will get a much more limited movelist, but you should get the idea.

You can also choose the All option rather than a specific party member, commanding all party members on the field ta do a specific thing. These would be broad tactical shifts like "gang up on this one dude" or "run the 猿が大好きだよ away this guy's way too tough". You can customize this in the menu as well.

Attacking
Now for the actual combat. At any given point in the battle, you can go punch the Gobu Gobus in the face. You can run around in any direction with the Left Analog Stick, and you can target specific enemies with the lock-on feature. Let's start with the first Gobu.

When you lock on ta him, your camera basically keeps him in focus so that you don't easily loose track'a him or whiff all your attacks. Your face buttons ([ ], /_\, O, X) correspond ta the default Attack cross command menu, and are linked ta Arms, High, RaSeru, Low, respectively, which you should be completely familiar with.

In the lower left hand corner'a the screen, underneath the left-side cross command menu is your Arts bar. Much like in the turn-based system, this shows you how many attack blocks you can throw out at any given point. If you run up ta the Gobu and hit X, you'll see a Low block pop up in the Arts bar, giving you a visual on how many more attacks you can throw out. It's the exact same as the turn-based system, so you should know how many hits in a combo your character can pull off at any given time.

In most action and fighting games, you do have a set amount'a hits you can do in a combo so that you can't infinitely loop every single enemy you attack. Eventually you'll throw out a move that can't be followed up, and thus you'll have ta start out a brand new combo. Legaia does the exact same thing, except it gives you a concrete visual on how many attacks you can do, so there's no reason not to include it.

This Arts bar also helps you visualize when you can attack. When you throw out the X button, you can follow it up with whatever you want, or, if you decide ta try something else or you need ta dodge rather than attack again, the Low block will appear in the Arts bar, then disappear once it registers that you cannot follow the attack. This allows you to do something goofy like press [ ] ta punch the Gobu in the face, wait a tad, then punch him again, then repeat and repeat. You don't have ta use a combo, and you can do a hit-and-run kinda thing with this set-up.

Let's use an Art. When you run up ta the Gobu Gobu, you hit him with /_\ and then X. Just like in the turn-based system, there's a little thingie that tells you you can that activate Somersault or Slash Kick. Slash Kick is cooler so let's use that. You hit [ ], and Vahn jumps up and dive kicks down into the Gobu's face.

Because you landed the /_\ and X, he's stunned and open to the attack. If the Gobu blocked or dodged the attack, or you missed for whatever reason, though, he has a chance ta block your Slash Kick, dodge it, or counter-hit you. For this reason, you'll also have ta take into account whether or not the attack you do before the Art sets you up correctly. If you hit the Gobu with the X and see that he rolls outta the way, you know that if you throw out a Slash Kick, you're gonna miss and he can then hit you and lock you down in his own combo. In this case, if you see the X attack doesn't hit correctly, you can choose ta do some other attack, or back out entirely and go on the defensive. If the X attack does hit properly, you'll then know that your Slash Kick will hit no matter what, so feel free ta do this. In fighting games this is called Hit Confirming just fyi. This game's real-time combat won't be terribly complex though so you don't needa be a big fighting game nerd ta succeed in it. Streamling and keepin' it similar ta the turn-based system was integral ta my design'a this.

The real-time system also allows you ta do some goofy tricks ta enhance your experience. Let's say you hit the Gobu with a Low, then a RaSeru (or Right). The next move would be a High so that you can activate Charging Scorch, but let's say that you notice a Gobu running at you from behind.

You can hit R1 ta switch your lock-on target from the first Gobu over ta the second one right before you enter High, causing Vahn ta shoot out his Charging Scorch in the direction'a the second Gobu, interrupting his run for your back. You already set up the first Gobu, so he's too stunned ta attack you from behind.

You can also play with AoE stuff. For example, you could throw out a Spin Combo that strikes multiple enemies at once provided they're all clustered together.

Defending
Holding the L2 button will put you in a defensive stance, transforming your Attack cross command menu into the defensive one (i.e Arms/High/RaSeru/Low becomes High Block/Jump/Low Block/Duck or whatever you have set). Should you ever need ta go on the defensive, the button's right there for you.

Just like with attacking, it's virtually the same as the turn-based system, but with bonuses that come with bein' in real-time. For example, you don't have ta sit there and defend against the enemy's entire string. If you manage ta dodge their first attack, you can very well release the L2 button, regaining your Attack cross command menu and allowing you ta throw out your own combo.

You can also defend against multiple enemies, and you can lock on ta different enemies as they attack. You can block the first Gobu's attack, duck underneath the next one's, then go right back ta the first and block it again.

tl;dr
- 猿が大好きだよ you read that too