Should we move from phpBB to IP.Board - Need opinions

Anything new on the website/forums is posted here. Keep up to date!

Read the post first. How much would you donate to switch it?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:02 pm

$0
17%
$5-10
33%
$10-20
17%
$20-40
17%
$40-70
17%
$70-100
No votes
$100-150
No votes
All of it
No votes

Total votes: 6

K73SK
Level 89

Re: Should we move from phpBB to IP.Board - Need opinions

Post by K73SK » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh, I just read it incorrectly. You went from saying the issue of advertisements and then mentioned storage/bandwidth so I thought you were saying they were all issues - not a solution. My bad.

And true... but I would like to consider it only as a last-resort option. This announcement is only to really see the amount of support for it. Would people really want it or not care if it was there? The next poll will be based around this announcement so stay tuned for that. :)
Donate to legendoflegaia.net if you are one who wants to keep it alive! http://www.legendoflegaia.net/donate.html

Nightshade
Level 60

Post by Nightshade » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:18 pm

Not a problem. I'm saying that as we grow, storage and bandwidth may become a more pressing concern, and additional users will likely be less dedicated and willing to donate than the average member now (such is the law of diminishing marginal returns). If this site continues to grow, therefore, it may be necessary to consider hosting advertisements on this site to make up the gap. I agree that it should be considered only after looking into donations and trying to keep this site ad-free, but we should at least look into what sort of revenue an advertisement can bring in (honestly, I can't say it'll be more than a few dollars per month, but even a little money could be the difference between keeping the site and not having the revenue to maintain it - and I don't think it's fair to expect you to shell out money out-of-pocket given that you've already got substantial time inputs into running this place).
Do not question yourself with the why or the how. I simply am, and that is all you need to know.

K73SK
Level 89

Post by K73SK » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Typically ads are "click" payments. So I won't get an income until I have people clicking on them (and no, you cannot abuse it or else I'd lose my privileges to the ads lol).

I was thinking more about your idea Night, and I think if I were to place ads on the main site (not the forums) - the best place would simply be the bottom of the pages. It's least noticeable, and if it is noticed, it isn't something that will get in the way of browsing the website. In other words, it shouldn't have a negative response from people. Now if I put it on top, or the sides, that can definitely get annoying - no doubt... Again, this would be a last resort thing. I wouldn't be going with ads that pop up on the screen, create pop ups, or make noise though. Those are the worse ads ever and I would never degrade this website to that level. The worse it would get is one ad on the bottom of the pages, probably just advertising some other games (like those free mmo's).

And I would still be willing to put something towards purchasing a new forums license. But again, there's no reason to do it if only me and a few other people want the change rather than the majority. So if the majority say yes to it - then we'll do it.

Poll will be up March 15 :) -- Too bad no non-members replied to the facebook post lol.
Donate to legendoflegaia.net if you are one who wants to keep it alive! http://www.legendoflegaia.net/donate.html

Nightshade
Level 60

Post by Nightshade » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Well, I'm going on vacation for Spring Break here in a week, and depending on how much under (or over) budget I am afterward, I should be making a donation to this site pretty soon that can go toward upgrading the forums.

I think a single ad on the forums wouldn't be too distracting and may be able to bring in a few dollars of revenue a month (as I said, not much, but $5 a month is significant when you're asking for $150-200 a year to run this site - 30% is not insignificant). Do you have any estimate of average daily traffic in terms of number of unique people / IP addresses on a day-to-day basis?

And yes, pop-up ads and ads with sound are the absolute worst and I would hate it if we had to sink that low.
Do not question yourself with the why or the how. I simply am, and that is all you need to know.

K73SK
Level 89

Post by K73SK » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 am

Unfortunately, no - but based on the unique visits according to the front page, I'd say it's anywhere from 20-30... but that's not say it's a different person each time. DHCP clients will change IP addresses and cause that counter to go up one.

As for the new forums page - is there anything that anyone doesn't like about it yet? Or is everything positive towards it so far?

Redhollowlives999
Level Awesome.

Post by Redhollowlives999 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 pm

K73SK wrote: As for the new forums page - is there anything that anyone doesn't like about it yet? Or is everything positive towards it so far?
DO I NOT PHUCKING EXIST?!?! >___>
it really do be like that tho

K73SK
Level 89

Post by K73SK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Again, productive feedback red. You don't exist as long as you don't READ. I know it's not easy to read for you, but you should really learn how to do it.

Redhollowlives999
Level Awesome.

Post by Redhollowlives999 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm

K73SK wrote:You don't exist as long as you don't READ.
I did read >___>
How many times I have to tell you that?

I see no need for change in this site. Unless something is horribly broken or if this is something we need, I fail to see a reason to change anything.

K73SK
Level 89

Post by K73SK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

That's the input I was looking for. Before all you said is, "I don't like it" was your reason. That didn't help me.

Redhollowlives999
Level Awesome.

Post by Redhollowlives999 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:37 pm

K73SK wrote:That's the input I was looking for. Before all you said is, "I don't like it" was your reason. That didn't help me.
Been saying that for awhile now >.>

Why waste time turning to a new lane when you can actually try harder to work with the one you're on now? I mean:

We can chat
We can post
We can love Legaia in unison
We even have an arcade where we can enjoy ourselves

What more do we actually need? Or better yet, what can that move give us that we need? We have all the essentials, no need to push our luck.