Going Cold Turkey on Online Gaming

Anything outside Legaia that's a video game
IronJustice
Level Rusty

Going Cold Turkey on Online Gaming

Post by IronJustice » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:08 pm

I'd like to know the community's opinion on stopping compulsive online gaming, and if you all have experiences or advice to share.

For the past 5 years, League of Legends has been the main game I've devoted myself to. It has been a bit of a love/hate relationship, with a few periods of taking a break from the game for several weeks or months, but ultimately returning. I've played a couple of games at night several nights a week. But binging on weekends is something I've done more often than I'd like to admit.

I really thought I played a healthy amount, compared to a lot of gamers. But I noticed a problem in that I felt compelled to play. Often the thought of playing would be a bit daunting, seeming like a chore (especially Ranked games), but I would do it anyway. It was like I had no choice in the matter, and I would feel guilty afterwards.

I'm married, and things would be a bit different if I were single. I really feel like this has not been good for my marriage, despite me being lucky enough to have a wife who doesn't seem to mind me playing and often sits with me. I know that ultimately, I am investing a lot of time and energy into something that is a waste and distraction. Worst of all, if I feel compelled to do it, clearly something is wrong. When problems in our relationship do pop up, I always suspect that my time online has contributed.

So far a week has gone by without playing and I plan to continue towards my goal of 100 days. At that point I will consider myself free. I have to say that the compulsions are still strong and I have often substituted by binging on social media and other websites (like this one). Still not healthy, so I really need to find something more constructive to invest in. Last weekend I went on a fishing trip with no computer for 3 days and this weekend I'm spending time with some friends for most of it, so I feel good about that much.

What I'd love to do more of is read and write. Both things that I can do with my wife and we can talk about together. I love when we both read the same book and talk about it, or if I write a story and she gives me feedback. But I haven't found the motivation to do that in a long time.

I feel like a kid procrastinating doing their homework, but indefinitely.

Does anyone have any advice? Any of you all experience something like this?
Legend of Legaia, a pinnacle of human achievement, will always have a place in my heart

Redhollowlives999
Level Awesome.

Re: Going Cold Turkey on Online Gaming

Post by Redhollowlives999 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:21 pm

I can't really say much. At times I get hooked and play constantly for like a week, but it dies fairly quickly, since apathy dictates that I can't be "obsessed" obsessed over something. I can enjoy it all I want, but by maybe next week, I'd stop playing altogether, whether I still enjoy it or not. So in most games, I'd go up to maybe level 20 before I just stopped.

tl;dr im too lazy to be hooked on these things
it really do be like that tho

Gameplaer90
Level 16

Post by Gameplaer90 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:43 am

Some games you just feel you gotta play online. Dragon Ball Xenoverse for example. but that is part of the reason why I play the main story on some Video Games like Halo and Call of Duty. or I might spend time playing an old PS 1 game.
May we all remember the roads we traval...even if they are diffrent then others or what you did not expect....

GoldenPower89
Level 57

Post by GoldenPower89 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:34 pm

I used to have a bit of an addiction to MMORPGs. It was tough to quit, because I had no reason to do so. I stopped after getting a full-time job and having my first kid. I still play Neverwinter every now and then, but nowhere to the level it used to be.

Zup
Level 99

Post by Zup » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:05 pm

I rarely get like this 'cause I don't play online, but every once in awhile a good-こし fighter comes along. SFV just dropped like two weeks ago'n despite my pretty-spotty internet connection + reduced game time in general, I've already netted like 80-somethin' matches. When I'm not playin' I start playin' matches in my head, and whenever 'm on my laptop my hands just curve inna the positioning I use ta hold my fight stick.

Last time I had this feelin' was UMvC3. What I did was binge-read the game's forums. Lotta fighting game players're unfortunately huge twats and I found that the whining'n Robert turned me away from wantin' ta associate with 'em, and I coupled that with havin' a lotta work ta do ta stay productive.